Sunday, March 31, 2013

ANNOUNCING THE SOMETHING SHORT AND SNAPPY BOOK CLUB!

Book club? Like the type my Mom is in where they don't actually talk about the book just hang out and drink? No! Book club like the type where we actually talk about the book! Although drinking isn't frowned upon.

How it will work:

Every other Sunday (rotating with Will's Ender's Game posts) I'll do a small "thoughts on this chapter" post, maybe pose a few questions, and discussion about the chapter in the comments. I know, I'm asking a lot here. I'm asking you guys to read two chapters of a book a month, AND to then talk about it! But I think you guys are going to have just as much fun with it as I will!

Now, the big question, what book are we reading? Well, that's up to you! Sort of! I'll give you a list, and you can cast your vote in the comments, or on Twitter (@SnappyErika)! I'll announce the book next Sunday both on Twitter and here (a separate post from Will's next one, don't worry)! The first chapter will go up on April 14th.

So, the contenders!

How To Be Good By Nick Hornsby

This is one of the two books on the list I have already read, and it's a favorite of mine. Some interesting questions about morality, society. I adore Hornsby, but his treatment of female characters always makes me wonder.

From Amazon:

Katie Carr is a good person. She recycles. She's against racism. She's a good doctor, a good mom, a good wife...well, maybe not that last one, considering she's having an affair and has just requested a divorce via cell phone. But who could blame her? For years her husband's been selfish, sarcastic, and underemployed, writing the "Angriest Man in Holloway" column for their local paper.

But now David's changed. He's become a good person, too—really good. He's found a spiritual leader. He has become kind, soft-spoken, and earnest. He's even got a homeless kid set up in the spare room. Katie isn't sure if this is a deeply-felt conversion, a brain tumor—or David's most brilliantly vicious manipulation yet. Because she's finding it more and more difficult to live with David—and with herself.
 Yes Man by Danny Wallace

The other book on the list I have already led. I re-read books very rarely, but this is one I went out of my way to buy after I read it. Yes, there was a movie, but it's based on the concept of the book, not the book it's self. It's the type of book that happens when you decide to say fuck it and see where life takes you. Also it's based on real events.

From Amazon:

Recently single, Danny Wallace was falling into loneliness and isolation. When a stranger on a bus advises, "Say yes more," Wallace vows to say yes to every offer, invitation, challenge, and chance.
In Yes Man, Wallace recounts his months-long commitment to complete openness with profound insight and humbling honesty. Saying yes takes Wallace into a new plane of existence: a place where money comes as easily as it goes, nodding a lot can lead to a long weekend overseas with new friends, and romance isn't as complicated as it seems.


Yes Man is inspiring proof that a little willingness can take anyone to the most wonderful of places.

Cat's Cradle  By Kurt Vonnegut

I have not read this book before, but I am a big fan of Vonnegut, and any work of his promises some fun things to pick apart and look at the layers of.

From Amazon:

Cat’s Cradle is Kurt Vonnegut’s satirical commentary on modern man and his madness. An apocalyptic tale of this planet’s ultimate fate, it features a midget as the protagonist, a complete, original theology created by a calypso singer, and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and hilariously funny. A book that left an indelible mark on an entire generation of readers, Cat’s Cradle is one of the twentieth century’s most important works—and Vonnegut at his very best.

The Girl Who Would Be King  by Kelly Thompson

The Boy bought me this book for my birthday, and it came in last week. Having never heard of it, or it's author, I was thoroughly confused why he went to the trouble to order it online. He explained that he read a review for it that said it handled feminist issues and tropes interestingly/well and that it sounded right up my ally. The back of the book makes me suspect he's right.

From Amazon:

A novel about two teenage girls with superpowers and radically different agendas, destined for a collision that will rock the world: Separated by thousands of miles, two young women are about to realize their extraordinary powers which will bind their lives together in ways they can't begin to understand. Protecting others. Maintaining order. Being good. These are all important things for Bonnie Braverman, even if she doesn't understand why. Confined to a group home since she survived the car accident that killed both her parents, Bonnie has lived her life until now in self-imposed isolation and silence; but when an opportunity presents itself to help another girl in need, Bonnie has to decide whether to actually use the power she has long suspected she has. Power that frightens her.

Across the country, Lola LeFever is inheriting her own power by sending her mother over a cliff...literally. For Lola the only thing that matters is power; getting it, taking it, and eliminating anyone who would get in the way of her pursuit of it. With her mother dead and nothing to hold her back from the world any longer, Lola sets off to test her own powers on anyone unfortunate enough to cross her. And Lola's not afraid of anything. One girl driven to rescue, save, and heal; the other driven to punish, destroy, and kill. And now they're about to meet.



So, cast your votes and tune in next Sunday to see what we're reading!

5 comments:

  1. I've always felt guilty that I haven't read much of Kurt Vonnegut's stuff, so I'm going to vote for Cat's Cradle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I favor Cat's Cradle since that's the only book on the list I've actually read, but How to be Good looks interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I think these all sound interesting and, somehow, I've not read any of them. Therefore, I'm down for whichever, but I'd prefer for it to be something you haven't read yet. It'll be so much more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a newcomer around here, but I'd love to join in on this little caper. I'm actually reading Cat's Cradle right now, amusingly enough, so I could totally do that one, but I'd be down for any of those listed. I haven't read any of the others, but The Girl Who Would Be King did catch my eye particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hornsby is one of the very few books I've actually given up on. The first paragraph was all kinds of awesomeness, but after that I rapidly lost interest, and gave up about a third of the way through, no longer caring about a single one of the characters.


    But maybe that was just me.


    TRiG.

    ReplyDelete